November 2014: Opening of Amalie Redlich Tower in Salzburg

By 4. November 2014Allgemein

Eroeffnung_Amalie-Redlich-Turm-Museum-der Moderne-Salzburg-30.11.2014-Friedrich-Poerschke-Zwink-Architekten-Stadtplaner-BDA-Muenchen

The Museum der Moderne opened the Amalie-Redlich Tower on November 30, 2014. The former waterpower has been remodeled to serve for the museum’s outreach and artist-in-residence programs. Ideas to integrate the historical water tower in the museum have existed since the competition and concept phase of the new Museum der Moderne at the Mönchsberg in Salzburg. The idea to remodel the water tower, which served the fire department until recently, for the outreach program was developed with the former director of the museum, Tony Stooss, since 2007. The building is dedicated to Amalie Redlich (Budapest 1868–Łódź 1941), the rightful owner of the painting “Litzlberg am Attersee” (1915) by Gustav Klimt, that was part of the museum’s inventory. In 2011, the valuable painting was returned to Amalie Redlich’s grandson and heir, Georg Jorisch (1928 Wien – 2012 Quebec). Recognizing the quick and unbureaucratic restitution of the painting, Georg Jorisch provided generous funding for the renovation of the former water tower, with the intention that the new name “Amalie-Redlich-Turm” reminds the public of his grandmother.

The tower offers a usable area of 280 squaremeter on seven floors for workshops and other events. The outreach staff of the Museum der Moderne Salzburg takes care of 11.000 children, youth, and adults annually. The 90 squaremeter studio apartment for the artist-in-residence program extends on three floors. The residence program intends to attract international artists, including a special program for Canadian artists to live and work for three months in Salzburg.